Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Wal-Mart Limousine

My mom and I went to the Super Wal-Mart after dinner today to pick up thank-you notes and dog food. We had been navigating the parking lot for maybe 20 seconds before we realized, hey, there’s a white limousine in front of us.

Prom was months ago. Today was graduation, but people don’t get limousines to go to the beach do they? So, who in Wadesboro, North Carolina would be in a limousine today? Is it because it’s Saturday? Have I been gone too long? Anyway, who in Wadesboro in a limousine would be going to Wal-Mart at 7:00 in the evening? Maybe it was one of the funeral home limousines. But that doesn’t make it any easier. I’m having a very hard time connecting white limousines to Super Wal-Mart.

My mom and I watch the limousine make a full loop around the parking lot. They must have made a wrong turn and need to go back the other direction. That explains it. Phew.

No, it doesn’t. They turn back the way they came, making another round through the parking lot, this time rapidly honking the horn. By this time, my mom and I are out of the car and walking toward the automatic sliding doors of Wal-Mart. The limousine passes in front of us and a grinning adolescent girl in the passenger’s seat waves at me.

The limousine drives on through the parking lot, honking, and I can only guess the girl is waving at every other poor confused person in the parking lot who just wants to buy cat litter or a pair of flip-flops or lightbulbs.

That was the last I saw of it. Where are you, honking limousine and smiling girl?

No comments: